09 January 2006

A Friend has moved on......

I've been a pastor for the grand total of 2 years now. There have been several things that have surprised me in that time. One of them has been a friendship that developed between a fellow pastor and myself. Carl is a pastor in the Assembly of God denomination. He served as pastor in Morenci for about 6 1/2 years before moving recently to Prescott, AZ. He is now serving as chief cook and bottle washer I think - he said something about being Pastoral Care Pastor before heading out.

I never expected a friendship to blossom between us. I don't know what I was expecting from other pastors in town, but I didn't expect friendship - guess that might show more about my presuppostions than anything else......

Carl taught me many things. How to get involved in a small community by serving in different capacities - Rotary Club (Club Treasurer, Scholarship Committee, plus more), AYSO Soccer, Substitute teaching in the High School, etc. Much of my understanding of the community and its background came from Carl.

We discussed theology - translating about half way through Mark from Greek with Steve - another pastor from our community. We agree on the fundamentals of the faith. Others issues we knew we would not agree on, but would challenge each other on them - not to tear down, but to remind ourselves that we don't have all the answers.

I hope the next pastor in that congregation will be willing to attempt to develop a friendship. I plan on reaching out to him much the same way Carl did to me whenever the body there decides who he is.....

I'm gonna miss you Carl.
The LORD bless you, and keep you; 25 The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; 26 The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.' Numbers 6:24-26 NASB

No comments: