31 May 2005

Conservative Resurgence

Al Mohler in his commentary today wrote about a first hand account of the conservative resurgence in the Southern Baptist Convention. He reviewed Anatomy of a Reformation: The Southern Baptist Convention 1978-2004 written by Paige Patterson. Dr. Patterson is one of the chief architects of the conservative resurgence that began in 1978/79 and is now the president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.

I have not read a great deal about this era in Southern Baptist life, but know a couple of professors who recommended books for me to read. I'll probably get this booklet and begin studying history so I don't unknowingly contribute to making the same type of mistakes of the past. I know that this era in SB life has been very distressing for many.

I suppose that theological controversy will continue until we all stand before the Trinity and realize that none of us had it entirely correct. I hope that when controversy comes my way that I will be able to stand before God and give a good account of my actions, all the while knowing that it is by His grace that I stand in His presence anyway.

No comments: