23 March 2006

Make sure you are on the same page...

Attended an Association meeting yesterday. A new opportunity was presented by someone who wants to start a Student Ministry at Eastern Arizona College. EAC is a Community College at this point, but is hoping to become a 4 year college for the 2007-2008 school year. It is historically a Mormon college, but the area is growing and more non-Mormon students are attending.

Bill is the man who has the vision of ministering to students. It was almost a classic case of generational differences. He had a plan that would have worked in the 60's - 80's. He presented it to a couple of guys on our state staff a couple of weeks ago, and didn't get the response he had hoped for, so he was wanting to see what could be done without the state convention help. I'm not sure he explored any current strategies to minister to students.

I started asking all kinds of questions like "What is the strategy?" and "Why are you wanting to do this?" He was thinking that I didn't care, and wouldn't support it until I told him that I have a daughter who is going to start attending EAC this fall - I have a vested interest in starting a student ministry. I just want to start one that will reach students, not one that is based on a strategy that worked for another generation.

We went to a coffee shop and talked for a long time after the meeting so that I could hear his dream. We were able to discuss the issues, agree on some points, while disagreeing on others. Who knows what will happen, what type of ministry will emerge, but we are going in the same direction, with the same goal in mind.

I appreciate Bill's passion. He commented at one point that he only has 13-15 years left in this life unless he gets called home early, and he doesn't want to waste those years (he is 68 years old)!!!! May his tribe increase and his ministry explode!

I'm going to help however I can, for multiple reasons. My daughters will probably attend that college, there are a lot of students who are believing lies there, and Bill has a vision. I'm sure glad we are on the same page of the same book!

No comments: